|Mitla is located about an hour east of the City of Oaxaca. The
name Mitla is of Nahuatl origin and means "Place of the Dead" or "Inframundo."
The most characteristic architecture in Mitla is the group of the columns,
where we find the Great House of Pezelao.
The archaeological site and town itself are Zapotec. Mitla was inhabited between 100-1521 AD. It was the second most important ceremonial center after Monte Alban.
|Great Hall of Columns
Gran Sala de Pilares
|Market outside the ruins
Mercardo afuera de las ruinas